Like many men, I am not a very good gift-giver. I wait until the last minute and run out to Wal-Mart. Or I get a gift that I think she wants, instead of what she really wants. When I was a young husband, I got my wife an iron for her birthday. It's due to God's grace and my wife's patience that we're still married. Some men reading this just asked, "What's so bad about giving her an iron?" So for you guys who don't know any better, here is a list of the Top Ten Things NOT to give your mother on Mother's Day:
10. A plaque from Kroger that says "World's Greatest Mom."
9. A "God Loves Mothers" ballpoint pen that they give out at church on Mother's Day.
8. A membership at the YMCA.
7. A toaster.
6. A mop and a broom.
5. Exercise equipment.
4. A new shotgun.
3. Ammunition for the new shotgun.
2. Taking her to a wrestling match.
1. An Extra Large white T-shirt from Wal-Mart that says "World's Greatest Mom."
My Dad is a wise man. Over the years, he learned his lesson, and started asking Mom what she wanted. So I called a few women in my church, as well as my wife and my mother and mother-in-law, and came up with a list of good gifts for Mother's Day. Here are the Top Ten GOOD Gifts for Mother's Day:
9. A new Bible
8. A gift certificate for a manicure and pedicure.
7. Take her out to eat.
6. If you can't see her on Mother's Day, call her and talk to her a long time and let her know you love her.
5. Take her on a surprise trip to see her mother.
4. A handmade gift from her children.
3. Dress the kids, take them to get their picture, and then frame the photo and give it to Mom.
2. Have Dad and all the children go to church with Mom and sit with her in church.
1. Clean the house, have Dad and the kids cook at home, and let Mom relax with all the family there.
Probably the best gifts are the thoughtful, personal ones, even if they don't cost much money. It's kind of like God's gift to us, when He gave us His Son. Since God also gave us our mothers, let's be sure and give her a good gift, too.
Copyright 2008 by Bob Rogers. www.holyhumor.blogspot.com